
More than 300 students in Virginia were suspended after taking part in a student-led walkout that moved off school grounds and required a police response.
Prince William County Public Schools confirmed that 303 students at Woodbridge High School were suspended following the protest, which focused on opposition to Immigration and Customs Enforcement, commonly known as ICE. The walkout took place Friday morning and was organized by students.
Students Leave Campus During Protest
According to a letter sent to parents by Principal Heather Abney, students left their classrooms to express their views on an issue they felt strongly about. While she acknowledged that walkouts can be a form of student expression, she said the situation escalated when participants left school property.
Because students moved off campus, the Prince William County Police Department was called to help manage traffic and ensure safety in the surrounding area.
In her message to families, Abney emphasized that the school’s top priority is student safety. She also reminded parents and students about expectations for conduct during the school day.

Organizers Plan County-Wide Demonstration
Following the suspensions, a student-run Instagram account called @pwcs_iceout appeared online. The account, which stands for Prince William County Schools ICE OUT, encouraged students across the county to join another walkout scheduled for Friday.
In a post, organizers said they were grateful for the opportunity to exercise their constitutional rights. They noted that each campus has different layouts and procedures and told students to watch for instructions about meeting locations from local organizers.
The account also stated that school administrations had been informed of the plans. However, in response to questions from users, organizers clarified that the event was not officially endorsed or approved by school officials.
Students were encouraged to bring posters, flags and speakers to the upcoming protest.
Call for Peaceful Demonstrations
Organizers urged participants to remain calm and avoid conflict. In another post, they reminded students not to fight, throw objects or create disturbances.
They wrote that peaceful protests are more powerful because they allow voices to be heard clearly and safely. Staying focused on the message, they said, would help make a lasting impact.
School officials have not yet announced whether additional disciplinary action will be taken if the planned county-wide walkout proceeds.